At WSHB, we know both the law of intellectual property and the various business needs that it implicates. For those seeking to protect their intellectual property, we know that this property is critical to the success of your business, and how to zealously guard those rights. For those facing claims of infringement, misappropriation, or other violations of intellectual property law, we know how to mount a vigorous, efficient, and creative defense to such claims. And for those seeking legal advice in a non-litigation setting, we know how to identify risks and provide informed advice consistent with the needs of your business.
From trademarks and copyrights, to trade secrets and patent-related issues, our team of experienced attorneys have the resources and expertise necessary to successfully handle your company’s intellectual property matter. We know that disputes over ownership and infringement can be complex and costly, but with WSHB on your side, you can rest assured that your intellectual property case is in good hands.
Proper Legal Representation in Intellectual Property Cases Can Make or Break a Business
Whether you are a small business owner or a multinational corporation, we will work with you to tailor the right approach to meet your particular needs.
We take a trial-ready approach to resolving intellectual property disputes. While we strive to achieve an early resolution, we are always ready and willing to go to trial if necessary. Our attorneys have successfully resolved claims for trademark infringement, trade dress infringement, copyright infringement, right of publicity, false advertising, and unfair competition. We also have appellate specialists to handle any appeals flowing from trial results.
At WSHB, we take a no-nonsense approach to protecting your rights. Whether you are facing an eight-figure settlement demand, a small copyright lawsuit, or anything in between, we have the knowledge and expertise to fight for your rights. We also provide transactional services and non-litigation consultation to help you mitigate risk and make informed decisions for your business. We know the importance of protecting your brand and mitigating exposure risk in the litigious world of intellectual property law.
Unlock the Power of Your Intellectual Property on Social Media
Social media is no longer just a place to connect with friends and family; it is an essential part of doing business. But with the rise of social media platforms comes a new set of challenges that businesses face when it comes to protecting intellectual property, and/or minimizing the risk of lawsuits claiming a violation of others’ property.
At WSHB, we understand the complexities of navigating the ever-changing landscape of intellectual property law in the digital age. Our tech-savvy lawyers have the expertise to help you protect your rights and defend against, or prosecute, intellectual property disputes arising from social media.
- Obtained a defense judgment following a bench trial on claims for trade dress and trademark infringement regarding alcohol beverage labels. We then successfully moved for over $500,000 in attorney’s fees based on the Lanham Act’s “exceptional case” standard. We also secured a partial summary judgment earlier in the case. Our appellate lawyers successfully defended all three favorable orders in the plaintiff’s appeal to the Ninth Circuit.
- Represented a manufacturer, with global distribution operations, against claims of copyright infringement and violations of the Lanham Act associated with the manufacturer’s alleged unauthorized use of a celebrity’s name and image to endorse its product. Despite an eight-figure settlement demand, we successfully defended our client’s rights and protected their valuable intellectual property assets.
- Won a defense verdict in a commercial dispute between two businesses. The allegations involved the improper acquisition of trade secrets and breach of confidential information. Our team worked tirelessly to ensure the client’s rights were protected.
- In a copyright case, we successfully argued nuanced points regarding the doctrine of implied, non-exclusive licenses, leading to a dismissal at the pleading stage. We then pursued attorney’s fees, ultimately getting the plaintiff to drop a threatened appeal and provide a full release to our client.
- In another case, the owner of copyrighted computer software sued a business owner for allegedly using the software on its website. Our attorneys immediately implemented a highly effective litigation strategy that led to an early resolution of the action, saving our client time and money.
- We faced off against a photo agency that had initiated a copyright infringement action against a computer blog. With our exhaustive analysis of hundreds of photos, we were able to undermine the photo agency’s case and secure an early resolution.
- In a case involving claims for copyright and trademark infringement regarding jewelry designs, we were able to resolve all claims against our client for a reasonable amount and with almost no litigation necessary.
- We have successfully resolved numerous intellectual property claims, often with minimal cost exposure, and in some cases no settlement payment whatsoever.
- Stephanie Acheampong
- Edward D. Baldwin
- Ahllam H. Berri
- Robert E. Campbell
- John T. Cofresi
- Clay Dawson
- Steven R. Disharoon
- Robert W. Hellner
- Anoush C. Holaday
- Ranjan A. Lahiri
- Brian P. Mangan
- Phillip M. Mendelson
- Cole Munson
- Sean Phillips
- Asha L. Renouf
- Matthew W. Ruff
- Ryan D. Schoeb
- Illise M. Schulman
- Erica Summan
- Fred R. Vasquez