Stephen J. Henning
10960 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90024
P (310) 481-7600
F (310) 481-7650
For more detailed information:
Stephen J. Henning is a co-founder of Wood, Smith, Henning & Berman LLP, an Am Law 150 law firm with 29 offices throughout the United States. Steve is a skilled litigator, nationally recognized for results in complex construction, habitability, real estate, business and toxic tort litigation. He regularly represents Fortune 500 companies and preeminent members of the business community, including some of the nation’s largest residential and commercial public and private owners, homebuilders, developers, investors, contractors and lenders. Additionally, Steve has a thriving practice focused on public entities, handling all facets of litigation and risk management pertaining to construction and toxic tort issues. He is regularly called upon by public and private employers for both advice in risk management and aggressive representation in claims involving employment issues, from internal complaints, to administrative charges, to litigated matters involving allegations related to executive compensation, discrimination and whistle-blower protections. Steve received his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Nebraska, where he competed on the National Trial team.
In addition to his extensive legal practice, he regularly gives back to the community by taking on leadership positions in several national and local charities. Steve served as Chairman of the Board of Directors for the March of Dimes, and he is a founding Board member and past President of the Construction Defect Community Charitable Foundation. He was also on the Board of Directors for both the Alzheimer’s Association. He currently serves on the Board of Levitt & Quinn, a public aid law firm providing legal services to people in need. Steve is proud to be the first defense lawyer awarded the Jerold S. Oliver Award for his contributions to the construction-defect community. An AV-rated lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, for the past ten years he has been selected for inclusion as either a “Rising Star” or “Super Lawyer.” Steve is also a proud recipient of CLM’s 2019 Outside Counsel Professional of the Year Award.
University of Nebraska at Lincoln College of Law (J.D., )
University of Nebraska (B.S., )
Licensed to Practice in:
- Representation of builders, contractors, and lenders in all aspects of construction-related claims and litigation.
- Defense of builders and developers in high-profile claims involving mechanic’s liens, product liability, easements, real estate issues, and punitive damages.
- Transactional experience drafting contracts and risk-management protocols.
- Handling of professional liability matters involving defense of directors and officers, real estate and insurance brokers and agents, design professionals, and healthcare professionals.
- Represent business entities in all facets of employment litigation, from administrative charges to claims of wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment.
- Regularly called upon by employers for risk management consultations as to best practices.
- Representation of Fortune 500 companies, builders, contractors, school districts, government entities, real estate brokers, and commercial and residential property owners and managers.
- Defense of a wide variety of toxic tort cases including those involving chemicals, asbestos and mold, with an emphasis on risk management.
- National coordinating counsel enabling clients to avoid claims and minimize litigation.
- Litigation and risk management on behalf of businesses, developers and contractors regarding all facets of toxic tort and environmental exposures.
- Representation of public entities in all aspects of litigation including construction and occupational exposure claims and disputes.
- Representation of public housing authorities and risk retention pools in wide range of complex civil litigation involving habitability, toxic tort, occupational exposure, employment and contract based claims.
- Published and Reported Decisions:
- Promenade at Playa Vista Homeowners Assn. v. Western Pacific Housing, Inc. (2011) 200 Cal.App.4th 849 [133 Cal.Rptr.3d 41] review granted and opinion superseded, (Cal. 2012) 136 Cal.Rptr.3d 667.
- Shapell Industries, Inc. v. Superior Court, 132 Cal. App. 4th 1101 (Cal. Ct. App. 2005).
- Mayer v. C.W. Driver, 98 Cal. App. 4th 48 (Cal. Ct. App. 2002).
- Hampton Bay Court Association, Inc. v. Storm/Western Development, 2006 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 5646 (California Unpublished Opinions 2006).
- Chelsea Court Condo. Homeowners Association, Inc. v. WNP Construction, 2004 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 2787 (California Unpublished Opinions 2004).
- Defense of business entities and individuals against class-action claims, including habitability and other claims arising in landlord/tenant relationships, consumer fraud and violations of California Business & Professions Code § 17200.
- Defense of manufacturers, distributors and retailers against injury, property-damage and loss claims allegedly due to defects in product manufacture and design.
- Defense of all facets of habitability, retaliation, discrimination claims.
- Representation of risk retention pools members and public housing authorities in all aspects of litigation.
- Defense of owners, real estate investment trusts, property managers in wide range of legal matters to protect their financial rights, property and interests including civil code violations, retaliation claims, discrimination and habitability matters.