Tom Fama’s practice focuses on all aspects of real estate including title insurance claims, boundary disputes, easements, mechanic’s liens and broker professional liability. Tom regularly counsels clients navigating difficult agency disputes between brokers and sales associates as well as advising brokers on proper disclosures of a sales transaction during escrow. He devotes a significant amount of his practice to counseling real estate brokers in Northern California on emerging areas of exposure in real estate law and guides brokers through the preparation and formation of agency relationships.
Tom also brings his honed litigation skills to complex construction claims counseling and defending the nation’s largest home builders against all facets of construction defect and construction accident litigation. He advises home builders on creative alternative strategies and proposals to litigation that have helped clients avoid multi-million dollar lawsuits. He has been recognized by judges and mediators as a creative lawyer that brings practical effective solutions to complex construction situations.
He has successfully defended professional and product liability matters, businesses against personal injury claims and counsels home builders in contractual matters with subcontractors. Tom secured favorable results for his clients in litigated matters, including receiving defense verdicts for lenders, general contractors and veterinarians. He is highly skilled in all facets of litigation, including trial and appeal. He is a licensed real estate broker and licensed to practice in Bankruptcy Court for the Northern and Eastern District of California.
Tom is an active CLM member and regularly speaks on panels at seminars across the nation, discussing new and emerging trends with insurance claims, management of claims and litigation in the construction and real estate industry. Tom is the president of the Sigma Chi alumni board at the University of the Pacific.
- Sierra Wes Drywall v. Platinum Development, et al., Placer County, SCV24840
- University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- University of the Pacific (B.S., 2004)
Licensed to Practice in
- Resource, 8.30.22
- Newsroom, 1.16.20
- Newsroom, 1.22.17
Events, Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Blurred Lines: Emerging Issues with Design Professional Liability and Construction Defects," CLM Construction Conference, San Diego, CA, September 23, 2021
- "Beyond the Pandemic: Anticipating the Next Industry Disruptors in Property and Construction," CLM Annual Conference, Atlanta, GA, August 12, 2021
- "Litigating in the World of Artificial Intelligence and Emerging Technologies," CLM Focus Conference Claims and Litigation Management, New York, NY, December 2, 2020
- "Lessons Learned from Covid-19 on the Insurance Industry and Property Claims," CLM Cannabis, Environmental, Insurance Fraud, Property, Subrogation, Claims & Litigation Conference, Washington D.C., November 4, 2020
- "Caution! Ethical Complications with Pre-Litigation Investigation of Construction Claims," CLM Construction Conference, October 1, 2020
- "Keeping up with the Techies: How Technology is Raising the Bar for Risk Reduction and Assignment of Liability," CLM Extra-Contractual, Insurance Coverage and Claims & Litigation Management Conference, New York, NY, December 5, 2019
- Partner Tom Fama to Address Supply Chain Issues and Labor Shortages in Upcoming Panel at CLM Annual ConferenceSpeaking Engagement, Coronado, CA, 9.23.22
- Events, Atlanta, GA, 7.27.21
- Events, 9.15.20
- Case Updates, 3.27.23
- Article, 12.8.22
- Co-Author, "Construction's Cloudy Outlook," Construction Claims Magazine, Spring 2023
- President of the Sigma Chi Alumni Board at the University of the Pacific