A senior counsel at WSHB’s Denver office, Jay Jacobson is an accomplished litigator with over 25 years of experience. His practice emphasizes civil litigation, appeals, construction, professional liability, and commercial litigation. Jay is licensed to practice in both Colorado and Arizona.
He obtained his law degree from the Arizona State University College of Law, graduating in the top 5% of his law class. During his time there, he served as a Note/Comment Editor of the Arizona State Law Journal and a legal writing instructor for first-year law students.
Jay is an author and speaker on a broad range of litigation topics to fellow attorneys and professional organizations.
- Jay recently tried an eight-day jury trial as first chair in the District Court for Boulder County, Colorado representing a real estate broker. The plaintiff was alleging professional negligence and fraudulent concealment, seeking several million dollars of damages. Jay obtained a complete defense verdict for the client and a judgment against the plaintiff for over $110,000 in costs.
- Jay recently obtained a favorable outcome for a client at the Colorado Court of Appeals in a coverage dispute. The dispositive issue in the case was whether the insured’s claim for medical payments coverage under an automobile policy was excluded because of the insured’s workers’ compensation settlement. The trial court held the exclusion was valid and enforceable. The Colorado Court of Appeals affirmed the trial court. The case was published at Del Valle v. Cal. Cas. Indem. Exch., 525 P.3d 689 (Colo. Ct. App. 2022).
- The following are additional published cases in which Jay represented clients in appeals:
- Calpine Const. Fin. Co. v. Ariz. Dep’t of Rev., 211 P.3d 1228 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2009)
- Citizens Telecomm. v. Ariz. Dep’t of Rev., 75 P.3d 123 (Ariz. Ct. App. 2003)
- Taylor v. Travelers, 9 P.3d 1049 (Ariz. 2000)
- Arizona State University College of Law (J.D., 1996, magna cum laude)
- Order of Coif, Note/Comment Editor of the Arizona State Law Journal
- Arizona State University College of Business (B.S., 1992, magna cum laude)
Licensed to Practice in
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Arizona
- Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals
Events, Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- "Accountant-Client Privilege: The Colorado CPA’s Duty of Confidentiality," NewsAccount, CO Society of CPAs, Nov./Dec. 2021
- "Removal to Federal Court," Liberty Mutual Insurance, Phoenix, AZ, August 8, 2019
- "New AZ Rules of Civil Procedure," Liberty Mutual Insurance, Phoenix, AZ, June 22, 2018
- "Contract Claims in an Insurance Defense Practice," Liberty Mutual Insurance, Phoenix, AZ, January 30, 2018
- "The Tripartite Relationship," Liberty Mutual Insurance, Phoenix, AZ, November 7, 2017
- "Affirmative Defenses," Liberty Mutual Insurance, Phoenix, AZ, July 19, 2017
- "Changes to the AZ Rules of Civil Procedure," Liberty Mutual Insurance, December 6, 2016
- "Easements," Lorman Seminars, Phoenix, AZ, November 6, 2013
- Colorado State Bar
- Colorado Bar Association
- El Paso County Bar Association
- Colorado Defense Lawyers Association
- Arizona State Bar