Lori Barker is the managing partner of WSHB’s New Orleans office. Lori has extensive experience representing insurers sued pursuant to the Louisiana Direct Action Statue. She regularly evaluates coverage and advises carriers facing first-party and bad faith claims. Lori worked with an international insurer to coordinate its response to claims made following the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic and the historically active 2020 hurricane season.
Her broad based litigation practice includes products liability, premises liability, transportation and construction. Lori has handled complex cases involving multiple parties and catastrophic injuries. She began her career at a Louisiana based civil defense firm. While there, she gained valuable courtroom experience that prepared her to work as in-house counsel for a major insurer before returning to private practice. Lori has successfully defended clients in state, federal, appellate and workers’ compensation courts of Louisiana. She also gained experience with multidistrict litigation while representing a trailer manufacturer in the In Re: FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Products Liability Litigation.
Lori enjoys working with clients to develop training programs to address their specific challenges. These have included topics such as best practices for claims handling of a direct action case, accident investigation protocols, protecting construction lien rights, and relevant law updates.
She is active in the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel and has been elected to the Board of Directors for a term beginning in August 2021. Lori is an adjunct professor at the Tulane School of Professional Advancement in their General Legal Studies program. Lori is a New Orleans native and lives in Orleans Parish with her husband and three children.
- Successfully argued a Motion for Summary judgment that resulted in dismissal of an aviation client from a lawsuit arising from a plane crash where damages were sought for the wrongful death of one passenger and severe mental and physical injuries of another. Obtained a favorable jury verdict in commercial transportation personal injury case venued in Orleans Parish. Plaintiff sought damages in the amount of $525,443 and the jury awarded $27,146, which was then reduced by 60% resulting in a net award of $10,862.40. Plaintiff's Motion for Judgment Notwithstanding the Verdict was denied and, ultimately, the case was not appealed.
- University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., 2008)
- Loyola University New Orleans (B.A., 2005, cum laude)
Licensed to Practice in
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- Partner Lori Barker Selected to Head Insurance Practice Group of Louisiana Association of Defense CounselFirm News, 9.28.21
- Newsroom, 8.26.21
- Newsroom, 6.15.21
- We the People State Competition Judge
- Tulane School of Professional Advancement Adjunct Professor, 2018- present
- Louisiana Bar Association
- Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel