Frances O’Meara is a partner in WSHB’s Los Angeles office. She is a nationally-recognized professional malpractice attorney who concentrates her practice on errors and omissions defense for attorneys, accountants, architects, insurance agents, real estate brokers, appraisers, doctors, and nurses. Frances is certified by the California State Bar as a Certified Legal Malpractice Specialist. She advises professionals and law firms on legal professional and ethical issues, issues relating to risk management and loss control, and cyber security and data privacy risks.
Frances works directly with major insurance carriers throughout the United States, non-insured attorneys, large corporations, healthcare providers, and financial institutions. She has extensive experience in D&O financial lines and commercial litigation, with an emphasis on fidelity, fiduciary, and surety claims investigation and litigation. Frances also represents medical malpractice claims related to healthcare management, assisted living, dental malpractice, and nursing.
She is experienced in defending general liability matters arising from premises liability, trucking, automobile, and accident claims involving property damage, personal injury, and wrongful death. Her clients have included bars, restaurants, property owners, general contractors, subcontractors, architects, engineers, and trucking companies.
Frances also enjoys experience in employment litigation, including discrimination claims, employment contracts, and retaliation and sexual harassment claims. She additionally handles fidelity and bond matters throughout the State of California.
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles (J.D., 1988)
- Stanford University (M.S., 1978)
- Stanford University (B.S., 1978)
Licensed to Practice in
- Newsroom, 6.7.22
- You Don’t Want to “Shoot a Missed Approach” from Your Adjuster’s Desk, October 17, 2016
- A Cautionary Tale: Regarding Arbitration Agreements in Professional Liability Retainers, October 27, 2014
- California Supreme Court Upholds Class Action Waivers but Finds PAGA Representative Actions Cannot be Waived, June 26, 2014
- Lawyer; Heal Thyself: A Cross-Industry Dissection of Today’s Professional, June 13, 2013
- Insurance Binders and Certificates of Insurance, September 19, 2012
- Suggestions for Insurance Agents Responding to Questions Regarding Mold, Mealey’s Litigation Report: Insurance Broker Liability, Vol. 4, 5, July 8, 2008
- Advisory Board of CLM – Cyber/Management Professional Liability Section
- CLM Claims College Executive Committee/Instructor – 2017
Chair – CLM Conference Committee (2016-2017)
CLM Professional Liability Advisory Board (2016-2017)
Chair of DRI’s Professional Liability Committee (2013-2015)
DRI’s Professional Liability Committee (2010-2013)
Vice Chair of DRI’s Professional Liability Committee (2011-2013)
Women in Law Committee
Association of Southern California Defense Counsel (ASCDC)
Board of Governors of the Southern California Chinese Lawyers Association (SCCLA)
Diversity Liaison for the Defense Research Institute (DRI)
California Board of Legal Specialization – Certified Legal Specialist in Legal Malpractice
Committee Chair (Advisory Board) – Management & Professional Liability Community Committee (CLM)
Committee Chair (Lead Chair) – Real Estate Professionals Committee (CLM)
Board Member – Management & Professional Liability Community
Community Chair (Advisory Board) – Cyber, Management & Professional Liability Community
Community Chair (Co-Chair) – Wiki Guidelines
Committee Chair – Committee Conference Committee