Catherine Deter is a highly accomplished trial lawyer and partner at WSHB’s Orange County office. With a wealth of experience in defense litigation, Catherine is known for her exceptional representation of national and regional construction, engineering, and architectural firms, as well as real estate professionals.
Catherine's passion lies in protecting the rights of architects, engineers, and other design professionals. She prides herself on her ability to quickly resolve complex claims and favorably represent creative individuals. In addition, Catherine has successfully represented some of the country's largest builders and developers, showcasing her expertise in construction litigation.
As a thought leader in errors and omissions (E&O) claims, design professional, and construction, Catherine is frequently invited to speak at national conferences and contribute as an author in renowned publications. Her insights and knowledge are highly sought after, making her a respected authority in the field.
When she's not in the courtroom, Catherine specializes in pre-claim assistance, offering invaluable guidance to clients on risk management and avoiding future claims. Her strategic approach to pre-claim assistance and early litigation defense often leads to swift and favorable resolutions, saving clients significant time and costs.
Catherine is committed to empowering women in the legal profession and is proud to be a founding member of the women's empowerment group at the Orange County office. This group provides a platform for young female associates to address the unique challenges they face in their careers.
In addition to her expertise in construction litigation, Catherine handles a diverse range of cases, including high exposure catastrophic injury cases, automobile accidents, products liability, wrongful death actions, mold and water intrusion claims, real estate disputes, habitability claims, environmental and pollution matters, and business transactions. She is also highly skilled in litigating and counseling professional liability claims, including veterinary malpractice claims.
With Catherine Deter's extensive experience, unwavering dedication, and proven track record, clients can trust that their legal matters are in the hands of a highly polished and professional advocate
- Whittier Law School (J.D., 2013)
- University of Texas, Austin (B.A., 2010)
- Universite De Toulouse, France (Intellectual Property Certificate, 2012)
Licensed to Practice in
- Firm News, 1.9.23
- Newsroom, 6.2.21
- Newsroom, 8.20.20
Events, Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Poking the Bear: Championing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Construction, CLM Construction Conference, September 23, 2021
- Partner Catherine Deter Set to Present on Best Practices for Design Professionals Emerging From the Pandemic at Upcoming CLM ConferenceSpeaking Engagement, Coronado, CA, 9.22.22
- Design Immunity May Not Shield a Public Entity From Liability Where it Failed to Warn of a Known DangerCase Updates, 5.5.23
- Article, Published in Professional Liability Defense Quarterly , 3.8.23
- Co-Author, "Emerging Trends in Litigation: Connecting the Lines Between Interest Rates and Professional Liability Claims," Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Vol 15, No 1 (First Quarter 2023)
- Professional Liability Defense Federation (PLDF), Member