J. Mark Langdon
421 Fayetteville Street
Raleigh, NC 27601
P (919) 987-2205
F (919) 800-3432
For more detailed information:
Mark Langdon brings close to 30 years of experience handling a wide variety of complex civil litigation matters. A truly seasoned and versatile litigator, Mark is known for his success in litigating a wide range of cases involving complex tort, contract, and real property matters. He is counsel for both transaction and litigated matters in the construction arena for owners, developers, general contractors and sureties. His broad base litigation experience coupled with his attention to detail allows him to provide sage counsel on a host of insurance coverage issues including first and third party throughout the nation.
Mr. Langdon serves as lead counsel in all forms of dispute resolution, including trials, appeals, mediation and arbitration, summary adjudication and informal settlement conferences. He routinely advises our clients on an array of pre-litigation and litigation management issues, including claim adjusting practices, construction contracts drafting and claim preparation, electronic discovery management/litigation holds, large volume discovery projects and litigation budgeting.
Mark graduated magna cum laude from Florida State University School of Law. He received his undergraduate degree in Economics from the University of Virginia. As an undergraduate, Mark played varsity football and remains a huge fan of the Cavaliers.
Florida State University College of Law (J.D., 1992, magna cum laude)
University of Virginia (B.A., 1987)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Defended insurer against insured’s bad faith claims relating to right to control settlements, allocation of defense/indemnity payments and coverage disputes arising from construction defect litigation.
- Defended insurers in coverage disputes relating to employee classification and premium calculation for workers’ compensation coverage.
- Represented insurer against claims by employee’s family for UM and Med Pay coverage under employer’s Commercial Auto policy in context of employee’s unauthorized use of company vehicle.
- Defended insurer against bad faith claims by commercial heater manufacturer for additional insured coverage under a Commercial General Liability policy for fire loss damages at shopping mall.
- Defended insurer against bad faith claims for failing to defend individual against alienation of affections/criminal conversation lawsuit under Homeowners and Personal Umbrella policies.
- Defended insurers against bad faith claims by insureds for alleged failure to properly inventory, evaluate and adjust dwelling, living expense and personal property claims for residential fire losses under Homeowners policies.
- Represented insurers in coverage disputes relating to construction defect claims against general contractor and subcontractor insured.
- Prosecuted multi-million dollar claim by containerized ocean shipping company against competitor relating to intra-/inter-harbor drayage quotas allocated between teamsters & Longshoremen controlled trucking companies on West Coast.
- Prosecuted multi-million dollar claim by international auto part manufacturer against German contractor relating defective design and construction of automated fuel injector production line.
- Defended multiple national department store chains against claims by shopping center developers for breach common area maintenance provision in respective leases.
- Defended Virginia utility company against multiple serious personal injury claims arising from automobile accident caused by employee in northeastern North Carolina.
- Defended property owners against electrocution claims filed by trespassers and employees of independent contractors performing work on property.
- Defended national department store in all premises liability cases in North Carolina.
- Obtained summary judgment for fire sprinkler contractor against multiple wrongful death/catastrophic injury cases arising from West Pharmaceutical plant explosion.
- Defended natural gas distribution facility in multiple catastrophic injury cases arising from 16 car accident on adjacent highway triggered by gas leak/explosion.
- Defended international compressor manufacturer against property damage claims filed by liquefied natural gas plant resulting from compressor explosion.
- Assisted with prosecution of catastrophic personal injury claim against national fast food chain for hit and run incident involving franchise manager.
- Defended grading subcontractor against catastrophic injury claim filed by general contractor’s employee involved in crane flip-over during construction of wastewater treatment plant.
- Defended aluminum producer before North Carolina Industrial Commission against multiple toxic tort/personal injury claims arising from smelting operations.
- Defended general contractors and subcontractors against claims under Commercial General Liability coverage for construction defect damages on processing plant, commercial building, multi-family residential and commercial playground projects.
- Defended national shopping mall developer against lien claims by multiple tiered contractors arising from mall construction and tenant up-fits.
- Defended international meal packing/processing company against payment, delay and change of condition claims by general contractor during construction of $70 million meat processing facility; also responsible for defending and resolving over 30 subcontractor lien claims on project.
- Defended Triangle area university against payment claim by general contractor during construction of Division I field hockey field, including negotiation/drafting of contract with replacement contractor.
- Prosecuted delay/acceleration/extra work claims of general contractor against owner, co-prime contractor and subcontractors on $40 million school project.
- Defended surety on subcontractor payment/performance bonds against project
completion claims by general contractor and multiple lower tier payment claims arising from subcontractor’s default during construction of new Wake Tech community college campus.
- Negotiated construction contracts on behalf of general contractor for North Carolina projects, including wastewater treatment plants, health care facilities and stadium expansions.
- Prosecuted general contractor’s extra work claims against North Carolina municipality during construction of $25 million wastewater plant and system.
- Review and revise construction contract forms to comply with North Carolina law and comport with major provisions in AIA and ConsensusDocs contract forms.
- Defended national restaurant chain against eminent domain proceeding filed by North Carolina Department of Transportation.
- Defended international real estate investment trust against breach of easement claims by shopping center developer.
- Defended general construction and subcontractors against inverse condemnation claims arising from road construction projects throughout North Carolina.