Lori D. Barker
1100 Poydras Street
New Orleans, LA 70163
P (504) 386-9840
F (504) 386-9841
For more detailed information:
Lori Barker is the managing partner of WSHB’s New Orleans office. Lori has extensive experience representing insurers sued pursuant to the Louisiana Direct Action Statue. She regularly evaluates coverage and advises carriers facing first-party and bad faith claims. Lori worked with an international insurer to coordinate its response to claims made following the SARS-CoV-2 pandemic and the historically active 2020 hurricane season.
Her broad based litigation practice includes products liability, premises liability, transportation and construction. Lori has handled complex cases involving multiple parties and catastrophic injuries. She began her career at a Louisiana based civil defense firm. While there, she gained valuable courtroom experience that prepared her to work as in-house counsel for a major insurer before returning to private practice. Lori has successfully defended clients in state, federal, appellate and workers’ compensation courts of Louisiana. She also gained experience with multidistrict litigation while representing a trailer manufacturer in the In Re: FEMA Trailer Formaldehyde Products Liability Litigation.
Lori enjoys working with clients to develop training programs to address their specific challenges. These have included topics such as best practices for claims handling of a direct action case, accident investigation protocols, protecting construction lien rights, and relevant law updates.
She is active in the Louisiana Association of Defense Counsel and has been elected to the Board of Directors for a term beginning in August 2021. Lori is an adjunct professor at the Tulane School of Professional Advancement in their General Legal Studies program. Lori is a New Orleans native and lives in Orleans Parish with her husband and three children.
University of Georgia School of Law (J.D., 2008)
Loyola University New Orleans (B.A., 2005, cum laude)
Licensed to Practice in:
U.S. Court of Appeals Fifth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
U.S. District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- Lori has acted as defense counsel for individuals, businesses and insurance companies named in casualty litigation. She is proficient at differentiating matters that may be resolved at an early stage from those that require thorough discovery and motion practice. Lori is able to provide clients with knowledgeable evaluations so that they may make informed litigation decisions. In addition, Lori’s family has owned commercial property for three generations. This experience gives her practical insight into those personal injury cases where the injury was alleged to have been caused by an unsafe or defective condition on a property.
- Lori’s practice includes the defense of insurers named in Louisiana litigation pursuant to the Direct Action Statute and those that have been sued for alleged acts of bad faith. She also analyzes insurance policies, providing guidance to insurers regarding coverage interpretations, reservation letters and appointment of litigation counsel to preserve policy defenses.
- Lori has represented landowners on strict liability construction claims arising out of ultra-hazardous activities as well as general contractors and subcontractors in construction defect litigation. She has handled cases related to the New Home Warranty Act and is familiar with the requirements and nuisances of the law. She’s previously regularly represented a commercial contractor in a wide variety of matters ranging from liens to federal contract payment disputes.
- Lori defends individuals, owner/operator truckers and diverse businesses named in lawsuits due to car accidents. Lori has handled cases where injuries ranged from soft tissue damages to traumatic brain injuries and other catastrophic injury. She is familiar with the State and Federal rules and regulations relevant in transportation cases.
- Lori has represented manufactures and dealers of a variety of products and is experienced in developing defense strategies under the Louisiana Products Liability Act (LPLA). Lori’s products liability clients have included travel trailer manufacturers, furniture manufacturers, appliance manufactures, cell phone manufactures, cosmetics manufacturers and recreational vehicle dealers.