Stephen J. Henning
10960 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90024
P (310) 481-7600
F (310) 481-7650
For more detailed information:
Stephen J. Henning is a co-founder of Wood, Smith, Henning & Berman LLP, an AmLaw 200 law firm with 22 offices throughout the United States. Steve is a skilled litigator, nationally recognized for results in complex construction, real estate, business and toxic tort litigation. He regularly represents Fortune 500 companies and preeminent members of the business community, including some of the nation’s largest residential and commercial public and private owners, homebuilders, developers, investors, contractors and lenders. Additionally, Steve has a thriving practice focused on public entities, handling all facets of litigation and risk management pertaining to construction and toxic tort issues. Steve received his undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Nebraska, where he competed on the National Trial team.
In addition to his extensive legal practice, he regularly gives back to the community by taking on leadership positions in several national and local charities. Steve currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors for the March of Dimes, and he is a founding Board member and past President of the Construction Defect Community Charitable Foundation. Steve is also on the Board of Directors for both the Alzheimer’s Association and Levitt & Quinn, a public aid law firm providing legal services to people in need. Steve is proud to be the first defense lawyer awarded the Jerold S. Oliver Award for contribution to the construction-defect community. An AV-rated lawyer by Martindale-Hubbell, for the past ten years he has been selected for inclusion as either a “Rising Star” or “Super Lawyer.”
University of Nebraska at Lincoln College of Law (J.D., )
University of Nebraska (B.S., )
Licensed to Practice in:
- Published and Reported Decisions:
- Promenade at Playa Vista Homeowners Assn. v. Western Pacific Housing, Inc. (2011) 200 Cal.App.4th 849 [133 Cal.Rptr.3d 41] review granted and opinion superseded, (Cal. 2012) 136 Cal.Rptr.3d 667.
- Shapell Industries, Inc. v. Superior Court, 132 Cal. App. 4th 1101 (Cal. Ct. App. 2005).
- Mayer v. C.W. Driver, 98 Cal. App. 4th 48 (Cal. Ct. App. 2002).
- Hampton Bay Court Association, Inc. v. Storm/Western Development, 2006 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 5646 (California Unpublished Opinions 2006).
- Chelsea Court Condo. Homeowners Association, Inc. v. WNP Construction, 2004 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 2787 (California Unpublished Opinions 2004).
- Representation of builders, contractors, and lenders in all aspects of construction-related claims and litigation.
- Defense of builders and developers in high-profile claims involving mechanic’s liens, product liability, easements, real estate issues, and punitive damages.
- Transactional experience drafting contracts and risk-management protocols.
- Representation of entertainment clients in professional malpractice, intellectual property rights, contract, and tort liability lawsuits.
- Assistance to startup companies in entertainment and new media arenas with all aspects of formation, structuring and risk management.
- Litigation and risk management on behalf of businesses, developers and contractors regarding all facets of toxic tort and environmental exposures.
- Defense of business entities and individuals against class-action claims, including habitability and other claims arising in landlord/tenant relationships, consumer fraud and violations of California Business & Professions Code § 17200.
- Defense of manufacturers, distributors and retailers against injury, property-damage and loss claims allegedly due to defects in product manufacture and design.
- Handling of professional liability matters involving defense of directors and officers, real estate and insurance brokers and agents, design professionals, and healthcare professionals .
- Representation of public entities in all aspects of litigation including construction and occupational exposure claims and disputes.
- Representation of Fortune 500 companies, builders, contractors, school districts, government entities, real estate brokers, and commercial and residential property owners and managers.
- Defense of a wide variety of toxic tort cases including those involving chemicals, asbestos and mold, with an emphasis on risk management.
- National coordinating counsel enabling clients to avoid claims and minimize litigation.