Melissa Jordon's practice focuses primarily on insurance coverage. She has extensive knowledge and experience in handling complex first and third party insurance matters, including an innovative approach to mediations, as well as comprehensive trial preparation and management of interlocutory appellate matters. Over the course of her career, Melissa has litigated hundreds of cases defending various domestic insurance carriers.
Melissa attended the University of Miami (UM) for both her legal and undergraduate studies. She graduated cum laude from the University of Miami School of Law and received summa cum laude honors from the University of Miami for her undergraduate studies. Melissa was the first female graduate of UM’s 3+3 honors program in law.
During her time in law school, Melissa worked as a law clerk specializing in international maritime and federal insurance cases. She also gained experience in appellate work as a clerk at the U.S. Attorney’s Office Appellate Division in Miami, Florida. And, lastly, she worked as a legal extern for the corporate responsibility department at Bacardi-Martini U.S.A. These experiences provided Melissa with a unique perspective on tailoring advice and case handling to meet the needs and interests of each client she represents.
Melissa is currently licensed to practice in the State of Florida, the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the State of Connecticut. Melissa stays actively engaged in the local community through her involvement in various organizations and social causes. Her professional affiliations include current service on the Miami-Dade County Bar Association Board of Directors, membership in the Miami Chapter of the Spellman-Hoeveler Inns of Court, and serving on her local Florida Bar Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee. In addition, Melissa also serves her community as an executive council member for Nextgen benefiting the Chapman Partnership that is dedicated to providing assistance and services to Miami’s homeless community, and on the University of Miami’s Young Alumni Leadership Council.
In her spare time, Melissa is an avid golfer and enjoys attending live sporting events.
- University of Miami School of Law (J.D., 2016, cum laude)
- University of Miami (B.A., 2014, summa cum laude)
Licensed to Practice in
- US District Court, Southern District of Florida
Events, Seminars & Speaking Engagements
- Speaker/ Panelist - “Handling Discovery Disputes and E-Discovery Issues” at the 2022 Bench and Bar Conference by the American Inns of Court (Spellman Hoeveler Chapter)
- Speaker/ Panelist - “Understanding E-Discovery” at the 2019 Bench and Bar Conference by the American Inns of Court (Spellman Hoeveler Chapter)
- Tips and Tricks for Successful Navigation Through the Online Deposition, April 3, 2020
- The Fast-Dealing Oil Trading Game: Oilopoly Russia’s Geo-strategic Dominance of the Oil Market Vís-a-Vís the European Union, 23 U. Miami Int’l & Comp. L. Rev. 257 (2015)
- NextGen Benefiting Chapman Partnership - Executive Council Member, 2020-2022
- University of Miami’s Young Alumni Leadership Council
- University of Miami's School of Law Homecoming Golf Committee, Committee Member, 2014-Present
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association Board of Directors, Director 2017-2020; Director 2020-2023
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association Bylaws Committee Chair 2019-2020
- Miami-Dade County Bar Association Executive Committee Member 2019-2020
- 11th Circuit Unlicensed Practice of Law Committee (C) Member Term: 2017-2020; 2020-2023