Michael J. Partos
505 North Brand Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91203
P (818) 551-6000
F (818) 551-6050
For more detailed information:
Michael J. Partos is a partner at WSHB’s Glendale office, where he focuses his practice on products liability, subrogation, business litigation, D&O and E&O claims, insurance litigation, general liability defense, toxic torts, maritime, legal malpractice, employment and construction litigation. Michael has handled complex litigation matters for more than 20 years and has successfully prepared and tried cases to verdict in the state and federal courts of Los Angeles County, Ventura County, San Diego County, Placer County, the Central District of California and the Southern District of California. Michael has successfully represented clients on writs and appeals to the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 9th Circuit, the Second District Court of Appeal and the California Supreme Court. Michael serves as a volunteer commercial dispute arbitrator for the Los Angeles County Bar Association. He also volunteers for a number of civic and community causes, including the South Pasadena Public Schools.
University of San Diego School of Law (J.D., 1989)
University of California, San Diego (B.A., 1986)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Represents marine insurers, shipping lines, stevedore providers and terminals in a variety of casualty, personal injury and coverage matters.
- Prosecutes and defends marine subrogation claims for insurers and cargo interests, including substantial claims under COGSA, Carmack, and the Warsaw Convention.
- Extensive appellate experience in a variety of matters with multiple appearances before the California and Federal Courts of Appeal.
- Notable appellate cases have included:
- Atlantic Mutual Insurance Company et al. v. Equinox Insurance Company et al. (B218282)
- Marciano v. Fahs et al. (B220011)
- Janis et al. v. Hamilton et al. (B172623)
- Construction accident, construction defect, and ADA claims defense at both pre-trial and trial levels.
- Multiple successful motions for summary judgment for construction industry defendants.
- Construction employment claims in a variety of contexts.
- Represents employers in all phases of wrongful termination litigation, including trial.
- Defends employers against claims of discrimination, retaliation, and harassment.
- Provides preventative counseling to employers.
- Assist admitted and surplus lines insurers with various coverage matters and coverage litigation arising from disputes over first-party property coverage, contingency risk coverage, third-party liability coverage, high exposure environmental and pollution coverage, and claims of bad faith.
- Trial of insurance coverage / contribution claims.
- Representation of manufacturers and retailers against claims of injuries and wrongful death allegedly due to defects in the manufacture and design of products.
- Service as nationwide product liability counsel for a major Japanese tractor manufacturer.
- Litigation of product-liability cases, including class-action matters, pharmaceuticals, industrial equipment, dietary supplements, appliances, vehicle product claims, aerospace and agricultural equipment.
- Defense of property owners, oil refiners, utilities, builders, developers and contractors in claims for personal injuries and property damage arising out of defective construction materials.
- Defends claims relating to injuries and death due to insufficient warnings, and design and manufacturing defects.
- Handles professional liability matters involving legal professionals, insurance brokers and agents, appraisers, and real estate brokers and agents.
- Handle recovery and subrogation claims arising out of construction activities at both pre-trial and trial level– whether related to fire, substandard construction, collapse, or subsidence.
- Assist numerous business owners and fortune 500 companies with the recovery of uninsured losses.
- Extensive experience defending contractors, utilities, and premises owners in personal injury and habitability litigation resulting from exposure to airborne mold spores.
- Mold, asbestos, benzene, diacetyl, heavy metal, and other chemical exposures in residential and commercial settings.
- Defense of clients in cases involving exposure to contaminated soil, underground storage-tank leaks, and emissions from neighboring properties.
- Defense of clients against allegations of personal injury and property damage caused by flooding and exposure to raw-sewage.
- Representation of transportation companies, owners, and drivers in personal injury and wrongful death actions involving tractor-trailers.
- Regularly represents logistics and trucking companies in connection with claims for vehicular negligence / wrongful death.
- Trial of both passenger and third-party claims.