Alicia R. Kennon
1401 Willow Pass Road
Concord, CA 94520
P (925) 222-3400
F (925) 356-8250
10960 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90024
P (310) 481-7600
F (310) 481-7650
For more detailed information:
Alicia specializes in the litigation of claims involving employment practices, professional liability, securities, financial institutions, and construction — both defect and catastrophic personal injury. She is a fierce advocate for individual, public, and private clients facing allegations of unfair employment practices, negligence, and products liability. She likewise has a proven track record in her defense of various types of professionals including securities brokers, physicians, nurses, hospitals, dentists, optometrists, veterinarians, construction, real estate and insurance professionals. Alicia has secured dismissals of physicians and insurance professionals by way of summary judgment. She has also been successful in securing favorable verdicts for veterinarians in small claims trials by providing pre-trial analysis, support, and preparation of trial materials and testimony. Alicia has successfully appealed a number of unfavorable verdicts against veterinary clients resulting in dismissals and reduction of damages awards. Alicia also handles cybersecurity and data privacy matters as a member of the Cybersecurity and Data Privacy Team.
She likewise has a proven track record in her defense of physicians, nurses, hospitals, dentists, optometrists, veterinarians and insurance professionals whose professional credentials and skills have been called into question by former clients and patients. She is widely known for her success in handling complex employment issues, both at the counseling stage and after a legal or administrative process has been initiated, for businesses ranging from small shops to Fortune 500 companies. Alicia is regarded by peers, clients, mediators, and judges as being a creative pragmatist that is adept at assessing risk and formulating legal strategies that yield positive results for her clients.
Alicia also provides HR counseling and training to various business entities and non-profit associations. She assists in the development and implementation of policies, protocols, and procedures that minimize risk and exposure on employment related matters including but not limited to wage/hour violations, medical leaves, and sensitivity training.
Alicia is an active member of the DRI Construction Law Committee and CLM. After successfully completing CLM’s Litigation Management Institute at Columbia Law School, Alicia received the designation of Certified Litigation Management Professional. She is also an Associate Member of the National Association for Professional Employer Organization (NAPEO).
As a compliment to her practice of law, Alicia served as adjunct professor of Employment Law at the University of the Pacific where she spent several semesters educating undergraduate and MBA students on the pitfalls and perils attendant to Human Resource component of running a business. Alicia also volunteers her time serving as the president of the Delta Epsilon Chapter of Delta Gamma House Corporation board, a 501(c)(7) organization. As Board President, she is responsible for the strategic management of 10 employees, a significant capital budget, and overseeing large scale construction projects annually that keep the privately owned chapter home on campus beautiful and habitable for the 75 women who reside there.
University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law (J.D., 2005)
University of the Pacific (B.S., 2002)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Defense of general contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers in construction defect and construction site accident litigation.
- Represents employers in all phases of wrongful termination litigation, including trial.
- Defends employers against claims of discrimination, retaliation, and harassment.
- Defense of public agencies and public entities in all phases of wrongful termination and civil rights claims, including trial.
- Represents employers during all phases of EEOC and DFEH investigations.
- Represents employers in Title VII discrimination claims.
- Preventative counseling and guidance to businesses regarding all aspects of the employer/employee relationship, including: lawful hiring processes, interviews and background checks, wage-and-hour compliance, investigations of employee misconduct, workplace privacy, drug and alcohol testing, leaves of absence and disability accommodations, employee performance management and employee discipline and discharge.
- Prepare severance agreements and assist clients in the termination process.
- Litigate matters involving meal break violations, wage and hour, age and disability discrimination, hostile work environment, employment contract claims, employment tort claims, leaves of absence, failure to provide accurate or timely pay.
- Hotel Premises liability; Real Estate; Discrimination related to public accommodations (restaurants, hotels etc.)
- Employment and Professional Liability
- Defense of physicians, nurses, and hospitals against allegations of negligence arising from diagnosis, care, and treatment of patients with acute and long term illness.
- Defense of the following professionals in claims arising from allegations of negligence related to the provision of professional services:
- Real Estate Brokers, Agents, and appraisers;
- Insurance Brokers, Agents, and claims adjusters;
- Architects, Engineers, and Construction Managers;
- Law firms, lawyers, and paralegals; and
- Veterinary Hospitals, Veterinarians, and Veterinary Technicians.
- Defense of public entities in broad range of civil litigation actions including employment, dangerous conditions of public property, and allegations of civil rights violations.