Commercial and Business Litigation
Commercial litigation can undo a business. And while winning a case is paramount, litigation costs must be controlled effectively in order for a “win” to not be a “loss.”
WSHB combines years of trial experience with in-depth and wide-ranging business knowledge to successfully handle commercial matters. We focus on middle market companies and are sensitive to a business’ reputation within an industry, the need to preserve existing relationships and the potential to resolve litigation for long-term benefits.
Our philosophy is to use strategies such as mediation and other alternative-dispute-resolution options. But, when necessary, we don’t hesitate to take a case to trial. Our fee structure delivers greater flexibility in managing smaller matters, allowing clients to avoid resolving disputes based solely on litigation costs.
WSHB’s attorneys include several MBA’s, a licensed general contractor and several licensed real estate brokers. It is often this experience outside the courtroom that leads to successful results in court.
We handle a wide range of commercial litigation matters, including enforcement of clients’ contractual, statutory, and common-law rights against other entities:
- Breach of contract
- Licensing disputes
- Interference with contract
- Other business torts
- Labor and employment matters
- Real property
- Intellectual property
- Secured transactions
- Defense against claims
Representative Matters for Commercial and Business Litigation
- Obtained a complete defense verdict following a two week jury trial involving allegations of intentional interference with contract involving two competing businesses.
- Successfully represented major developer against hundreds of plaintiffs alleging SEC violations in the sale of condo-hotel real estate development
- Obtained defense verdict for large window and blind manufacturer against claims brought by a competitor for fraud, trade secret violation, employee “raiding” and interference with business.
- Obtained multi-million dollar settlement for the creator of a successful infomercial who had been wrongfully cut out of the profits.
- Successfully negotiated a significant increase in lease payments and partial payment of our attorneys’ fees on behalf of our client, a commercial landlord. The defendant tenant was a large multi-state bank that disputed its obligation to pay for utilities under the terms of the parties’ lease.
- Successfully handled both civil and criminal allegations made against our client, a developer of office facilities for public agencies, arising out of a failed joint venture. After we successfully filed a number of motions challenging the sufficiency of plaintiff’s complaint, the lawsuit was dismissed.
- Obtained defense verdict for our client, a commercial developer, accused of discrimination, breach of lease agreements and habitability claims by dozens of retail tenants.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a client sued for breach of contract by a commercial real estate broker.
- Defended a client against a former employee who sued over multiple theories after deciding to go out on his own. Plaintiff originally sought in excess of $1.2 million from our client; case settled during deliberations for $75,000, well below the last offer before trial of $200,000.