Michael Coffey is the managing partner of WSHB’s New York City and Connecticut offices. Michael’s practice focuses on the defense of professional liability, catastrophic injury, construction, toxic tort and commercial litigation matters and has extensive experience in state and federal courts in New York and Connecticut. He represents Fortune 500 companies and some of the world’s largest insurance carriers in the U.S. and is often retained to try large-exposure claims made under excess and surplus casualty policies. He also coordinates several national programs for domestic and international insurance companies and third-party administrators in multiple lines of business.
Michael is a former assistant district attorney in Kings County, New York. He has tried more than 100 cases to verdict and selected more than 125 juries. He is currently in his second consecutive appointment to the Fire Commission for the City of Norwalk, Connecticut and previously was elected to two terms as president of the Norwalk City Council.
As an ADA, Michael took 15 criminal trials to verdict, prosecuted more than 25 suppression hearings, and argued numerous writs of habeas corpus and appeals. Prior to joining Wood, Smith, Henning & Berman, Michael was a partner with Wilson Elser.
- St. John’s University School of Law (J.D., 1994)
- Connecticut College (B.A., 1989)
Admitted to practice in New York; Connecticut; U.S. District Court, Eastern, Northern, Southern and Western Districts of New York; and U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut; United States Supreme Court; United States Court of Appeals, 2nd Circuit
Memberships and Accomplishments
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Claims & Litigation Management Alliance
- New York City Building Congress
- Norwalk/Stamford Regional Bar Association, co-chair, Civil Litigation Committee, 2000-2002
- Connecticut MS Society, Corporate Achievers Advisory Board, 2009-present
- Norwalk YMCA, Board of Directors, 2008-2011
- Senator Joseph Lieberman’s (D-CT) Armed Forces Service Academy Selection Committee, 2006-2012
Norwalk Economic Opportunity Now (N.E.O.N.), Norwalk, CT, 2003-2009
- Litigation Counsel of America, Fellow, 2009
- Received “Corporate Achiever” award from Connecticut MS Society, 2008
- Included on Fairfield County Business Journal “40 Under 40” list, 2007
- Selected for inclusion in New York Super Lawyers in the Construction, Construction Litigation, Professional Liability: Defense, and Personal Injury Defense categories, 2007