Steven D. Stutsman
501 West Broadway
San Diego, CA 92101
P (619) 849-4900
F (619) 849-4950
For more detailed information:
Steve handles various types of legal matters including employment, catastrophic injury, construction, premises and general casualty litigation. Steve is experienced in inverse condemnation, class action, mass tort, and employment litigation. Steve is experienced in all aspects of civil litigation, having successfully mediated cases and received final judgments in favor of his clients through summary judgment.
During law school, Steve was selected as a member of The Byrne Trial Advocacy Team at Loyola Law School of Los Angeles, ranked as the sixth best Law School Trial Advocacy Team nationally by U.S. News & World Report. The team was a finalist in the 2008 National Civil Trial Competition, involving the top law school trial advocacy teams in the country, and Steve was a runner-up for the Individual Best Advocate. Steve also served as a law clerk for the Los Angeles City Attorney’s Office in the Identity Theft Prevention Unit. Additionally, Steve provided pro bono services as a law student to The Surf Rider Foundation, a non-profit organization in Malibu, California promoting appreciation and preservation of clean coastlines.
Loyola Law School (J.D., 2010)
Boston University (B.A., 2006)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Advise clients on selection of appropriate business form and assist in preparation and negotiation of business formation documents.
- Preventative counseling and guidance to clients regarding aspects of the employer/employee relationship, including: lawful hiring processes, interviews and background checks, wage-and-hour compliance, investigations of employee misconduct, and drug and alcohol testing, and employee termination.
- Litigate matters involving partnership disputes, wrongful termination, retaliation, employment contract claims, and employment torts in both State and Federal Courts.
- Defend employers against claims of negligence related to company policies for employee hiring, employee retention, enforcement of drug and alcohol policies, and entrust company property to employees.
- Defending construction defect claims on behalf of developers and contractors.
- Representation of contractors in personal injury claims arising from construction activities.
- Resolution of contractual defense and indemnification obligations between contractors and property owners.
- Defending property owners and tenants against personal injury claims arising out of use of commercial and residential properties.
- Defending business entities and individuals from personal injury claims arising out of motor vehicle accidents.
- Consultation and review of commercial and residential leases and purchase agreements.
- Landlord-tenant disputes involving return of security deposits, breach of rental agreements, damage to property, and inhabitable properties.