Sheila E. Fix
505 North Brand Boulevard
Glendale, CA 91203
P (818) 551-6000
F (818) 551-6050
901 Main Street
Dallas, TX 75202
P (469) 210-2050
F (469) 210-2051
7112 North Fresno Street
Fresno, CA 93720
P (559) 437-2860
F (559) 438-1350
For more detailed information:
Sheila focuses her practice on employment, construction, professional liability and toxic tort litigation. Bringing a powerful combination of experience as a partner at WSHB and a former active duty Judge Advocate in the U.S. Navy JAG Corps, Sheila has tried over 75 cases, including 20 jury trials. In the construction arena, she has successfully tried cases involving public works projects, residential construction, and landslide and subsidence claims. Sheila also counsels owners, builders and contractors on risk management issues in all phases of the construction process and assists them with drafting of contracts, securing approval of subdivision documents, and complying with right to repair laws.
As part of her employment litigation and consultation practice, she provides workplace training on risk management, as well as discrimination and harassment awareness initiatives. Bringing her Navy background to the table, she has experience in conducting compliance audits and overseeing internal investigations, as well as drafts, negotiates, and provides advice to clients on service and non-competition agreements. Her litigation practice includes defense of sensitive discrimination, harassment and wage claims for her clients. In this arena, Sheila frequently litigates disputed claims under Title VII, the ADA, FLSA, FMLA, FDCPA, FCRA and associated state and local laws.
A Captain (O-6) in the Navy Reserve JAG Corps, she serves in two key senior leadership roles in the Reserve Law Program. Sheila acts as the Reserve Deputy Inspector General, Office of the Judge Advocate General Inspector General, and as Special Assistant for Public Affairs to the Reserve Deputy Judge Advocate General. Previously, she served as the Deputy Force Judge Advocate (legal advisor) to Commander, Navy Reserve Forces Command; the Staff Judge Advocate for the Navy Region Southwest Reserve Component Command, the Commanding Officer for two units comprised of attorneys and paralegals, and the Staff Judge Advocate for the First Naval Construction Division (Forward). As part of her service and practice, she has been recognized for many awards, including:
- Judge Advocate’s Association, 2016 Outstanding Career Armed Services Attorney, Navy Reserve
- The Gilbert Cup for the Best Navy Reserve Law Unit for her tenure as Commanding Officer
- The Rear Admiral Hugh H. Howell Award for Best Junior Officer, West Coast
- The San Diego Navy League Military Woman of Achievement
Southern Methodist University School of Law (J.D., 1987)
Bowdoin College (B.A., 1984)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Pinnacle Museum Tower Assn. v. Pinnacle Market Development S186149.
- Promenade at Playa Vista Homeowners Association v. Western Pacific Housing, Inc., 2012 Cal.App. Unpub. WL 6052034.
- Negotiation and drafting of construction contracts.
- Preparation of disclosure statements and notices for real estate transactions and residential leases.
- Development of risk-management protocols for all aspects of construction processes (including pre- and post-construction phases).
- Extensive experience in defense of complex multi-party construction claims relating to multi-family, high rise and single family residential developments, commercial properties, and public works projects.
- Representation of contractors and owners in construction disputes involving breach of contract, delay, bid protest, default, termination and project abandonment claims.
- Litigation on behalf of contractors regarding prevailing wage, fringe benefits, payment, lien, surety bond and stop notice claims.
- Representation of public entities in all aspects of litigation, including construction claims and disputes, inverse condemnation, landslide and subsidence litigation, bodily injury actions, and occupational exposure claims
- Negotiation and drafting of construction contracts and development of risk management protocol for all aspects of the construction process (including pre- and post-construction phases).
Preparation of real estate documents, including purchase and sale documents, CC&R’s and compliance documents for SB 800, and leases.
- Defend property owners and businesses against American with Disabilities Act (ADA) claims and advise companies regarding accessibility issues.
- Defense of wrongful discharge, retaliation, harassment, discrimination, wage and hour compliance, and FMLA claims.
- Defense of entities in groundwater contamination cases.
- Representation of owners, developers and contractors regarding claims of exposure to hazardous materials and habitability.
- Professional liability defense for directors and officers, real estate brokers and agents, design professionals, healthcare professionals and insurance agents and brokers.
- Defense of property owners and businesses against American with Disabilities Act (ADA) claims.
- Advise companies regarding ADA compliance, including architectural barriers and accessibility issues
- Representation of public entities in all aspects of litigation, including construction claims and disputes, inverse condemnation, bodily injury, and occupational exposure claims and disputes.
- Defense of personal injury claims alleging exposure to mold, lead and asbestos in single-family homes, condominiums, apartment buildings, and commercial developments.
- Risk-management consultation in developing protocols to avoid and minimize microbial contamination claims.