Samuel L. McDermott
6A Liberty Street
Aliso Viejo, CA 92656
P (949) 757-4500
F (949) 757-4550
For more detailed information:
The managing partner of the firm’s Orange County office, Sam has litigated numerous cases at the state and federal level involving complex construction, tort and environmental issues. Sam has an extensive amount of experience in construction litigation involving construction payment disputes, delay damages, onsite injuries, workplace regulations, construction defects, prevailing wage claims, design professional liability, engineering professional liability and construction quality issues. Sam has represented some of the nation’s largest commercial construction contractors and residential builders, and is considered one of the top minds in the industry.
University of Southern California (J.D., 1995)
University of San Diego (B.A., 1989)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Brief-writing experience and appearances before the California Court of Appeal.
- Reported Decisions:
- D’Orsay International Partners v. Superior Court (2004) 123 Cal.App.4th 836.
- Rodriguez v. American Technologies (2006) 136 Cal. App. 4th 1110.
- Litigation for commercial and corporate clients involving contract, partnership, and breach-of-fiduciary-duty claims.
- Litigation for commercial and corporate clients involving various claims by individuals, joint venturers, business partners, and shareholders.
- Litigation for property owners/builders against lending institutions regarding property development.
- Litigation for contractors regarding payment, lien surety-bond, and stop-notice claims.
- Litigation regarding statutory claims – i.e., unfair business practices (Business & Professions Code, Sections 17200 and 17500).
- Litigation regarding payment claims, lien claims, surety bond claims and stop notice claims.
- Litigation regarding default, termination and project abandonment.
- Litigation regarding public works construction.
- Litigation regarding defective construction of commercial and residential properties.
- Litigation regarding site accidents and OSHA investigations.
- Litigation regarding prevailing wage, fringe benefits and related claims.
- Litigation regarding hazardous materials exposure.
- Litigation regarding claims of personal injury due to mold exposure.
- Consultation regarding various insurance issues, including Builders Risk, Commercial General Liability and Building and Personal Property coverage forms.
- Consultation and litigation regarding enforcement of indemnification agreements and additional insured endorsements, including preparation of coverage position letters.
- Litigation regarding alleged defective design and manufacture of various
products, including piping, drywall, and other materials.
- Litigation regarding defective design and engineering of private, state and federal projects.
- Litigation regarding design-build and design-bid-build projects at the private, state and federal levels.
- Litigation involving engineering of site utilities, MEP placements and building envelope.