Joel D. Odou
2881 Business Park Court
Las Vegas, NV 89128
P (702) 251-4100
F (702) 251-5405
For more detailed information:
Joel Odou is partner in WSHB’s Nevada office and has litigated matters in state and federal court in both California and Nevada. Joel is a seasoned litigator handling complex civil litigation throughout Nevada. He enjoys a well-deserved reputation for his legal prowess and results in product liability, construction defect, catastrophic injury and toxic tort litigation. He also enjoys a wealth of experience in all facets of transportation, medical malpractice defense and pharmaceutical injury matters. As a former coverage lawyer, Joel brings to each matter assigned a deep understanding of risk transfer issues. He is a thought leader for a variety of individual and business owners throughout Nevada.
He is a full-time resident of Nevada and serves clients in California by request. When Joel is not handling litigation, you can find him coaching soccer and on the sidelines of his children’s basketball games.
Whittier Law School (J.D., 1993)
University of Southern California (B.A., 1990)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Defense of home-builders in California and Nevada against a wide range of claims, including multiparty complex litigation.
- Defense of home-builders, apartment building owners, and property managers against mold and sulfate attack claims and allegations of unfair business practices.
- Experience with class actions including successful defense of class-certification motions.
- Prosecution and defense of actions involving land-sale contracts, breach of contract and fraud.
- Defense of property owners, contractors, and developers against property claims related to commercial and residential sites.
- Litigation and risk management on behalf of businesses, developers and contractors regarding all facets of toxic tort and environmental exposures.
- Prepared coverage analysis for corporate and individual clients.
- Experience in defending bad-faith actions related to earthquake, fraud, and arson.
- Successfully defended a client against claim for Cumis costs, resulting in a fee reduction of several hundred thousand dollars.
- Defense of corporations, other business entities, and individuals against class-action claims
- Including habitability and other claims arising out of the landlord/tenant relationship, consumer fraud, and violations of California Business & Professions Code § 17200.
- Defense of manufacturers, distributors and retailers against injury, property-damage
- Other loss claims allegedly due to defects in product manufacture and design.
- Handling of professional liability matters involving defense of directors and officers, real estate brokers and agents, design professionals, healthcare professionals and insurance agents and brokers.
- Defense of product manufactures against skin-allergy claims in pharmaceutical litigation, and against personal-injury claims in dietary supplement litigation.
- Defense of other product manufactures against personal-injury claims involving marine, automobile, and commercial products.
- At-scene investigation of motor-carrier accidents and defense of high-exposure personal-injury and wrongful-death claims.
- Investigation of on-site construction fatalities and representation of municipalities in Los Angeles and Las Vegas in multi-million dollar litigation.
- Defense of owners and property managers in California and Nevada against bodily injury claims from alleged slip-and-fall injuries.