Janice M. Michaels
2881 Business Park Court
Las Vegas, NV 89128
P (702) 251-4100
F (702) 251-5405
For more detailed information:
Janice Michaels manages WSHB’s Las Vegas office. She has more than 25 years of experience in all aspects of litigation and is an active member of the California, Nevada and New York bars. While based out of Las Vegas, Janice handles complex litigation for her clients across the West Coast and has advised them on matters across the country. She has regularly been selected as a Nevada Super Lawyer and is AV-Preeminent rated by Martindale-Hubbell. Janice represents businesses and individuals operating in a wide array of economic sectors including real estate, construction and insurance in all stages of litigation in state and federal court. She is skilled in all aspects of litigation, including law and motion practice, mediation, arbitration, trial and appellate practice. She regularly represents developers and general contractors in complex construction defect litigation, product liability and associated personal injury matters, as well as related bankruptcy, foreclosure and lien matters. Janice also handles D&O claims, insurance, professional liability, premises liability, hospitality/retail, and tort liability matters.
Janice has extensive experience advising clients on risk management strategies, including contractual and insurance matters outside of litigation and has assisted with drafting proposed legislative changes to NRS Chapter 40 on behalf of the Nevada homebuilding industry. She also represents owners/developers of retail/commercial centers in matters relating to landlord/tenant disputes and eviction proceedings.
Janice is an approved Mentor in Nevada’s Transitioning into Practice (TIP) Mentoring Program. Through this program Janice has been mentoring new admittees to practice in Nevada since 2013, providing guidance and insight in areas including effective client representation, career development, ethics/professional conduct and law practice management.
Pepperdine University School of Law (J.D., 1989)
University of California, Los Angeles (B.S., 1986)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Published Decision: U.S. Home Corp. v. The Michael Ballesteros Trust, et al. 134 Nev., Advance Opinion 25 (April 12, 2018).
- Published Decision: Grenier v. City of Irwindale, 57 Cal. App. 4th 931 (1997).
- Defense of primary builders against homeowner claims of negligence/construction defects, fraud and negligent misrepresentation.
- Defense of claims for damages due to delays in construction.
- Prosecution of claims for indemnification and breach of contract.
- Defense of property owners, contractors and builders regarding accidents on commercial and residential sites.
- Defense against allegations of personal injuries and wrongful death resulting from construction defects.
- Defense of property owners, developers, contractors and subcontractors in construction site accident litigation.
- Litigation and risk management on behalf of businesses, developers and contractors regarding all facets of toxic tort and environmental exposures.
- Defense of owners and property managers against bodily injury and third party liability claims.
- Defense of manufacturers, distributors and retailers against claims of injuries, property damage and other losses allegedly due to defects in manufacture and design of products.
- Representation of insurance broker against allegations of professional negligence, breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duty related to broker’s participation in commercial lease negotiations.
- The subject dispute involved a dispute over the lease termination option provisions and which party to the lease had the ability to exercise the option.
- Matter settled for $650,000.00 after extensive motion practice and discovery.
- Representation of national home builders, land owners, developers and contractors in construction disputes, construction defect claims, and mechanics lien issues involving single and multifamily unit dwellings and commercial properties.
- Representation of property management firms, business and individuals in all types of commercial real estate matters,
- Including services in real estate transactions, leases, contract negotiation/drafting, real estate litigation, landlord and tenant disputes/eviction proceedings, easement and permit disputes, and other land use issues.
- Defense of property owners, property management companies, builders, and contractors in all aspects of personal injury litigation involving claims of mold growth from water intrusion.
- Defended interests of insurance broker against claims that it failed to procure the proper and necessary coverage. The central issue was whether the broker owed a duty to a third party not involved in the insurance transaction to procure a specific type of coverage.
- Succeeded in obtaining dismissal of claims against broker.