Firm Chairman, Founding Partner
Daniel A. Berman
10960 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90024
P (310) 481-7600
F (310) 481-7650
For more detailed information:
Dan Berman co-founded and serves as the firm Chairman of Wood, Smith, Henning & Berman, LLP. In his role as Chairman, and previously as the firm’s Managing Partner, Dan’s responsibilities have included high-level firm management, execution of the firm’s strategic vision, and ensuring its overall effective operational management and progress. Under Dan’s leadership, WSHB has grown from a regional California based firm to one that is recognized today as a leading national firm with strong capabilities stretching from coast to coast. Embracing the use of internal data analytics and improved, more efficient processes, Dan utilizes industry leading protocol and programs to drastically change and innovate the manner in which legal services are delivered to the firm’s clients.
In his legal practice, representing Fortune 500 companies and mid-market businesses, Dan is a recognized authority on commercial and business law. He has received Martindale-Hubbell’s highest rating of “AV Preeminent” and has been selected a California “Super Lawyer” on numerous occasions. Dan’s legal work spans matters involving business issues, professional liability, real estate, intellectual property, entertainment endeavors, and construction-related issues. Dan has worked for many years closely with the domestic and London insurance markets, has successfully tried numerous complex cases to verdict and has been instrumental in several groundbreaking favorable rulings in the appellate realm. He has served as a court appointed arbitrator and mediator, and serves as monitoring and coordinating counsel for clients throughout the United States.
Dan is a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization (Pacific Coast Gold Chapter) and currently serves as the chapter Chairman. He formerly was a member of the Board Directors for the YPO Santa Monica Bay Charitable Foundation and a Board Member of the YPO Pacific Region Board. Dan currently sits on the Advisory Board for the CLM (Claims and Litigation Management Association), the legal board of advisers for the National Association of Home Builders, the California BIA legal advisory board, and the Palisades-Malibu YMCA Board of Directors. Dan previously was a Vice-Chair of the DARE America Board of Legal Directors, and has served on boards for several real estate and start-up companies.
Loyola Law School (J.D., 1992)
University of California, Santa Cruz (B.A., 1989)
Licensed to Practice in:
- Torres v. City of Madera, 648 F.3d 1119 (9th Cir. (Cal) 2011).
- Maciel v. Simac Construction, Inc. 2006 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 8228.
- INCO Development Corp. vs. Superior Court (Haynes) 2005 DJDAR 9454.
- Grove v. Retail Property Partner 2004 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 5848.
- Holmberg v. J.F. Shea Co. 2003 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 10344.
- Luvisi v. Safeway, Inc. 2002 Cal. App. Unpub. LEXIS 2946.
- Handles litigation on behalf of commercial, corporate, and non-profit clients involving unfair competition, contractual claims, partnership matters, claims of malfeasance and breach of fiduciary duty.
- Represents individuals in claims for professional liability.
- Represents board members and boards of directors against claims of breach of fiduciary duty, professional liability, wrongful acts, and fraud.
- Defends corporate clients in class action claims, as well as suits brought by individuals, joint ventures, business partners and shareholders.
- Represents many of the nation’s largest and preeminent land developers, owners and commercial contractors with legal issues involving construction disputes, land acquisition, construction defect claims, land use and entitlements, creditor and debtor rights, distressed real estate acquisition, foreclosure and lender liability matters, employment matters, and general real property litigation.
- Provides transactional assistance involving land acquisition, sales agreements, joint venture deals and risk transfer methodology.
- Provides risk management training and counseling on a host of issues including toxic mold, insurance coverage and employment issues.
- Litigates construction-related class action suits, construction site accident cases, and other matters involving work site safety and environmental compliance.
- Defense of professional liability and malfeasance claims against lawyers, insurance agents and brokers, real estate agents, appraisers, architects and engineers and miscellaneous professionals.
- Represents individual and institutional clients in contractual and licensing disputes, and handles litigation arising from entertainment ventures.
- Represents entertainment clients in suits involving professional malpractice, intellectual property rights, and tort liability.
- In the arenas of entertainment and new media, assists start-up companies with all aspects of formation, structuring and risk management.
- Extensive involvement in mold and habitability litigation involving residential homes, commercial buildings, health care facilities, and apartments.
- Defends corporations, other business entities, and individuals, against class action claims, including habitability and other claims arising out of the landlord/tenant relationship, consumer fraud and violations of California Business & Professions Code 17200.
- Defended product manufacturers and health care professionals in claims involving professional negligence and product liability claims.
- Defense of product liability cases involving pharmaceuticals, herbal supplements, and over-the-counter health products.
- Litigates cases involving both industrial and residential products (e.g., allegedly defective heavy machinery, home appliances, automobiles, power tools and sporting equipment).
- Litigates toxic substance and chemical exposure cases involving toxic fumes, soil contamination, and lead paint claims.