D. Sean Smith
1805 Shea Center Drive
Highlands Ranch, CO 80129
P (720) 479-2500
F (303) 471-1855
For more detailed information:
Sean Smith is a partner in WSHB’s Denver office. Sean’s multi-faceted practice focuses on construction litigation, employment, medical malpractice, and transportation law.
Growing up in West Virginia, Sean routinely worked on construction projects with his family. He uses this hard-earned construction knowledge to develop a deeper understanding of issues presented in construction cases, to better evaluate matters and to assist his clients through all aspects of both the pre-litigation and litigation process.
Prior to joining the firm, Sean worked for a major insurance carrier for over nine years, handling catastrophic injury and transportation/trucking claims. When handling these types of cases, Sean relies heavily on his experience in settling, mediating, arbitrating, and/or trying thousands of matters (including first-hand experience acting as trial counsel and testifying witness in over 50 arbitrations/trials).
Denver University, Sturm College of Law (J.D., 2008)
West Virginia University (B.S., 2000)
Licensed to Practice in:
U.S. District Court Colorado
Tenth Circuit Court of Appeals
Federal Circuit Court of Appeals
- Experienced in complex, multi-party residential and commercial defense of general contractors and sub-contractors.
- Representation of both small and large homebuilders and developers in both pre-litigation and litigated matters.
- Experienced in ADR, including arbitration and mediation.
- Defense of worksite injury claims.
- Prosecution of “Additional Insured” tenders, including injunctive relief through declaratory actions.
- Represents clients and insurers against personal injuries resulting from automobile accidents and commercial vehicle accidents.
- Represents trucking companies and commercial carriers in catastrophic injury claims, including wrongful death.
- Provides risk management and evaluation of business practices, including driver qualification, risk transfer, insurance coverage, and best practices for handling litigation.
- Represent employers to defend EEOC and DORA investigations.
- Defend employers against discrimination, retaliation, and harassment claims.
- Advise employers regarding non-competition agreements and applicability of same in relation to Colorado statute and case law.
- Defense of hospitals, physicians, physician’s assistants, nurses, chiropractors, nursing homes, and long-term care facilities against claims brought for negligence, fraud, and medical malpractice.
- Experienced in filing responses to DORA complaints on behalf of physicians, physician’s assistants, nurses, and chiropractors.
- Represents insurance agents/brokers, bank directors, and lawyers in various types of professional malpractice and errors and omissions claims.
- Experienced in representing architects and engineers in defending claims alleging design errors and deficiencies.
- Defense of product manufacturers and distributors in product liability claims.
- Experienced in multi-district litigation claims against manufacturers, designers, and distributors of construction products, mechanical products, and alleged auto design deficiencies.
- Litigation and management of toxic tort exposure on construction sites and post-construction.
- Defense and prosecution of toxic plumes of oil and gas released into water tables, resulting in property damage.
- Defense of property owners, property managers, developers, contractors, and subcontractors against claims of mold exposure and asbestos exposure.
- Defense of toxic contaminant claims affecting multiple property water tables.
- Extensive knowledge of Medicare compliance and Medicare Set-Asides, including Medicare Secondary Payer issues, Section 111 Reporting, and Conditional Payment Claim issues.
- Defense of patent infringement involving auto parts and lock mechanisms designed as part of a hitch/towing mechanism.